Friday, February 9, 2018

Joel Dewberry Charity Quilt

As part of the Foothills Piecemakers Quilt Guild, we make philanthropy quilts with members making blocks, making quilt tops, and/or quilting the quilts for various charities.  I did not make this quilt top  but offered to quilt and bind it. 


Charity quilts are wonderful quilts to practice new quilting and binding techniques. It is a win for the quilter to practice a skill and a win for the guild to have some of the quilt tops finished into quilts.


This quilt used some large pieces of Heirloom by Joel Dewberry for FreeSpirit fabrics.  The bold yellow and reds of the large scale prints are fabulous in this line.

For the quilting design, I quilted a a curl and then surrounded it with two tear drop shapes.  It was a larger design so the quilting went well, but I found it difficult to keep the spacing of the quilting lines even over the quilt top.


For the quilting thread I went with an Aurifil gold thread in a 40 wt (versus my usual 50 wt).  This is a little thicker yarn which helped the quilting stand out a little more.


When it came time to bind the quilt, I was between an almost black print and a magenta print.  The black print was the winner because I thought that it framed the bright colors better.


I finished the lap sized quilt and turned it into the philanthropy group of my quilt guild where it went off to a good home at Safe Haven (a local shelter for women and their children).

I am linking up with Finished or Not Friday @ Busy Hands Quilts and
Finish it Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts.




19 comments:

  1. The black does frame the colors nicely. I like the quilting motif and will have to practice it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a bright and happy quilt and I agree with Yvonne, the binding frames it beautifully, and such lovely quilting too. It will make someone very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The black is perfect. I love the piecing pattern. Was this an actual pattern from somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m confused where to find pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patti, I did not make the quilt top but I not think that there really was a "pattern". The quilter started with a 6 1/2" square, then sewed a 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" rectangle to the top, then a 3 1/2" x 9 1/2" rectangle to the side for a simple 9 1/2" x 9 1/2" finished block. I hope that helps! Cheryl

      Delete
  5. This is lovely! I agree that the black binding is perfect for framing this quilt and I really like how the thread contrasts with the more pink/red prints but still blends well with the more mustard prints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a lovely quilt and wonderful that it is from the benefit stash and heading to someone who will treasure it. The black is perfect and I do agree these are projects we can use to stretch our quilting skills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This quilt will surely cheer up someone. I like your quilting design. Looks great with the black binding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love that gold thread. Your spacing looks totally fine! The black frame binding is a great choice. I'm still waiting for materials to finish some charity quilt tops I have that somebody else made. They really are a win-win for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the "big block" design for the charity quilt. It turned out gorgeous. Binding and quilting add nicely to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful finish Cheryl! I think the black binding was the one! Love that gold thread choice too, and wow what fabulous fabrics going to a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice. I like the black binding choice, too. Plus, you can save that extra bit of Denyse fabric just a bit longer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheryl, this is a great finish. I love the Quilting. I’m quilting up the last doggie quilt, and I wanted the design to be large, but it’s so hard to FMQ large! With the blog hop finished, and the last doggie quilt under the needle, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Your work always inspires me to move ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the colors in this one. What a wonderful quilty hug!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautiful finish. I like the thread color you used and the quilting looks fine to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty. What a vibrant, happy quilt. Black is a great choice for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilting Cheryl! I like your reasons for taking on this project - quilting is the task I find least enjoyable at the moment. More practice would probably change that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love quilting charity tops for the exact same reason. I like that overall design. I should try that one sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! Lovely quilting with the yellow thread and the black does frame everything wonderfully!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!